Update on Park Island Beachside restaurants

I sampled the new gourmet burgers at Cafe Romas a few days ago. I must say, the burgers are EXCELLENT! I can't recall the price (around $60 or $70) from memory, but well worth it if you want a quality burger with quality ground beef, caramalized onions, fresh tomatoes, etc. Mmmmmmmmm.

Secondly, I went for the first time to try the Thai restaurant. The name is Pattaya Island Thai Restaurant (or something like that). Its the last restaurant along the beach towards the Noah's Ark. I am always quite reluctant to eat Thai food in HK as its often made by a Chinese chef catered to Chinese tastes, and does not taste like real Thai food at all. I ordered a sammple entre platter, which consisted of spring rolls, chicken in bamboo leaves, fish cakes etc. I would rate it as OK, perhaps 6/10. Definately eadible while drinking a nice cold beer. I also ordered a green curry chicken with rice. That was much better, and tasted relatively authentic. I'd give it an 8/10. Certainly quite OK - even if you were to order it directly in Thailand you would be quite satisfied with it. Next time I might ask if they can make it a little spicier, but its really pretty good as is. The menu looked extensive, and the restaurant is usually packed, so it seems the food must be pretty good there.

Comments

  1. We also like Mogols which has lately come under new management. I suppose its too much to hope for a Mexican place to open up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Park Island BloggerJune 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM

    Thanks Steve - I have not yet tried Mogols, which I know is an Indian restaurant. I know its located on the upper level beachside. I heard they used to do some great deals on beer, with all you drink specials, etc. I will check it out sooner or later.

    Now Mexican food is a good idea. I am pretty sure a Mexican place would do well. If there was such a place that made good mexican food, I am sure they would make a nice margin on beer and margarita sales!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a self confessed coffee connoisseur you may not be too impressed at what appears to be a new Pacific Coffee opening up on Ma Wan :) Still, even though you only gave it a 3/10 in your coffee rankings, it is an added attraction for the island, and a recognisable place to meet friends. I'm calling it a net positive development, although I'm sure some will disagree. If does raise the question of "what's next, McDonalds?" - *That* would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Park Island BloggerJune 26, 2011 at 11:22 PM

    I agree entirely with your comments. Pacific Coffee coming is a net positive. And yes, a MacDonalds would suck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Mexican restaurant and bar would do very well I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pool facilities on Park Island

Green Green Club on Park Island