Hiking on Ma Wan island

I woke up early today, and decided to walk to the other side of Ma Wan.

This part of Ma Wan is entirely undeveloped, and the paths are all "natural" unlike the Peak on Hong Kong island, which is slowly being paved over by overzealous government officials who have no idea of what nature and hiking is really about.

I saw not a single person during my hike, and as the paths up the mountain where not clearly marked, I had to explore and find the way by myself. The views from up the top are stunning, and there is also an old cemetary up there.

What a great thing to be able to do, to start the morning with a hike like this on your doorstep. And if you had a dog, this would be a great hike to take him or her on, as there there is no traffic, and plenty of open space for him to run around and "jungle" to explore.

I took some photos along the way.

Hiking on Ma Wan

Hiking on Park Island
Beautiful ocean views from Ma Wan

Comments

  1. Thanks for the photos. I've been doing a similar morning walk, except I've only got as far as the area on the far side of ma wan park. Like you, I rarely meet any one else on my early morning walks. They are truly a great way to start the day.

    Without wanting to spoil your morning solitude by blowing your secret, :) may I ask how you actually find the entrance to the main hill area? I tried walking through the underpass, past the main ma wan park entrance on your right until the bus stop, and then up left to some pathways that lead up then down to a secluded beach spot. But none of these seemed to take me under the bridge and onto the "main" hill area.

    Any hints you can share as to the best way to access the hill? It looks as though you walk under the bridge but I can't quite make out where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Park Island BloggerJuly 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM

    Hi Mark. Yes a great way to start the day for sure! I do wonder sometimes if there are any snakes out there. I have not seen any yet...

    The way I normally walk, is along the beach, past the Noah's Ark, along the rocks, under the bridge, and then once on the other side of the bridge there is a small path on the right, which I take and then follow all the way towards the hill where the cemetary is.

    If you go the way you have mentioned, you are close and on the right track. Follow that path around to the part where you get the awesome ocean views, and then at some point you will see a path to up towards the top of the hill.

    Its a bit hard to explain by typing, but if you ever see a local person walking along like a fisherman from the old village, they can probably explain it better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the directions. I will give both ways a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh just to add...I haven't seen any snakes - warning signs seem to be more about dangerous trees (falling branches) and rodent poison in some of the old abandoned sheds and houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how long does this trail take?

    ReplyDelete
  6. how long does this trail take on the south?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pool facilities on Park Island

Green Green Club on Park Island